Galleywood is very fortunate in having a fine network of footpaths and bridleways, totalling 23 km (14 miles), these are set out in the free Galleywood Parish Footpaths Map (3rd Edition) available in paper form from the Parish Council Office or the Heritage Centre office
Galleywood Parish Council is very pleased to release the following highlighted walk in our 'new look' leaflets.
Galleywood Walk One - Windmills and Ponds (Google Map) (PDF Map)
||Directions Interactive Map
||Walk across the old racecourse on FP47 and to the footbridge.
||Cross over BW79 onto the heathland opposite.
||Take a curve left into the wood and down onto BW80. A view of Wood Farm and Crondon Hall lies in the distance.
||Turn left and walk up BW80 back to BW79.
||Turn right passing “Farthings” to Rous Cottage.
||Cross the ra1cecourse diagonally to the ponds formed by claypits from Marvens brickworks with was first recorded in 1830 and last used in 1940. (This area was the uphill finish).
||From Marvens Pond proceed south down The Common, cross the Wood Farm approach road, the car park and cross Stock Road To FP50.
||Follow FP50 to Glebe Farm and the pond here FP50 enters the field and continue north-east to Lower Green at Ponds Farm.
Turn left at Ponds Farm and walk up Ponds Road and along The Street.
||Cross over Watchouse Road and continue along The Street to an unofficial footpath past the reservoir boundary fence to the junction of Stock Road and Beehive Lane.
||Cross Stock Road to the start of FP49 at the side of the Helix Garage.
||From St Michaels and all Angels Church continue south-west across The Common to Margaretting Road by The Old Mill pond.
||Cross Margaretting Road. The 27 Mile stone on the old roman road from London to Maldon is on the London side of the crossing.
||From Margaretting Road continue on FP49 south across The Common to the approach road to four cottages and turn right, you are now back at the starting point.
Historical Notes — Walk One Windmills & Ponds
St Michael and All Angels The Church whose soaring spire is a local landmark, is built on the highest point of Galleywood Common. In 1872 Arthur Pryor of Hyland House, Writtle laid the memorial stone of the church which was completed in 1873 in Gothic Revival Style. The ecclesiastical parish of St Michael and All Angels was established in 1874 from parts of the parishes of St John Moulsham, Great Baddow, West Hanningfield and Orsett (detached) - the eastern and northern boundary being marked by a series of ten large inscribed stones.
Mill House On the south side of Margaretting Road is the site of Upper Mill, a windmill still in regular use in the 1920’s after a life of some 150 years. Sadly the mill was demolished in 1926. On 24th April 1806 a duel with pistols was fought by Upper Mill between Lt. Torrens and Surgeon Fisher of the 6th Regiment of Foot, resulting in the death of Lt. Torrens the following day.
The Common—Fortified Earthworks On The Common these are the remains of a Napoleonic Fort and one of its batteries. The fortified earthworks defended the main Maldon to London road against the threat of invasion by Napoleon during the early 19th century.
Rous Cottage Unfortunately no longer serves as a sweet shop for users of The Common. An untimely death occurred here when the wife of Samuel Crozier of The Admiral Rous Inn was murdered by being pushed downstairs and was buried in the churchyard. Subsequent rumours led to the disinterment of her body and the arrest of her husband who was tried, convicted of her murder and finally executed at Chelmsford prison on 5th December 1899.
Ponds Farm Ponds Farm is referred to as far back as 1328 when it was owned by John Atte Pond. However, the original farmhouse was burned down in 1970 and rebuilt as a private house where Monty Rae the 1930/40’s singer lived for some years before retiring to the Isle of Arran.
The Street At the bottom of The Street where it joins Ponds Road you will see an old white cottage which was once part of Lower Mill House. The windmill was set back on the east side of The Street. At no 27 The Street the Georgian house has built using bricks from the old brick works on The Common.
The Keene Hall John Keene (a wealthy director of Pearl Insurance Company) of Carlton House, Beehive Lane and his wife associated themselves with the church and parish life. Mrs Keene gave generous financial help to many projects and the family name is perpetuated in the Keene Hall, which she had built in 1937.
Acknowledgements: Historical details from Christine Whybro’s “19th Century Galleywood” and Muriel Sanders “Glimpses of Galleywood”. Walk devised by Malcolm Stuart and Gillian Parker. © Galleywood Parish Council. E&OE - Published Jan 2014.